Blue Silhouette Ketubah
The Blue Silhouette Ketubah honors the fine art of papercutting which traces its roots in the Jewish Tradition to the 14th century rabbi, Shem-Tov ben Yitzhak ben Ardutiel. According to legend, after his ink froze, he completed a treatise by cutting out the letters. Although the Blue Silhouette Ketubah is not an actual papercut, Mickie was inspired by this tradition to create this stunning ketubah using the papercut motif. The famous quote from the Song of Songs “I am my beloveds and my beloved is mine” and all of the imagery is rendered as though cut out of a single sheet of paper. Two traditional quotes are beautifully calligraphed and added in radiant gold foil to this Ketubah design that was originally created using pen & ink and watercolor and printed in Israel on archival lithographic paper.
For the B- Traditional Aramaic with Contemporary English (Orthodox) text, the two witnesses only sign in Hebrew.
If you would like to read the actual texts available on the Blue Silhouette Ketubah, you can read them all at our Read Ketubah Texts page. If you would like Mickie to create a custom, original ketubah for you that is similar to the Blue Silhouette Ketubah, you can visit her Etsy Shop or her Original Gallery.
Actual quotes from the Blue Silhouette Ketubah
The following quote is written as part of the ‘papercut’ image in Hebrew (top) and English (bottom):
- אני לדודי ודודי לי
- I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine
On the outside of the artwork, the circle of quotes in gold foil calligraphy:
- My beloved spoke and said to me, Rise up, my love, my fair one and come away. For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle dove is heard in our land.
- ענה דודי ואמר לי קומי לך רעיתי יפתי ולכי־לך: כי־הנה הסתו עבר הגשם חלף הלך לו: הנצנים נראו בארץ עת הזמיר הגיע וקול התור נשמע בארצנו
On the inside of the artwork, the circle of quotes in gold calligraphy:
- You and I…in joy and happiness, in rejoicing, singing, delight and pleasure, in love and companionship, in peace and friendship without end
- ששון ושמחה, גילה רנה, דיצה וחדוה, אהבה ואחוה, שלום ורעות